50g Kiriboshi Daikon (Dried Radish Strip)
1/2 Carrots – sliced into thin rectangles
1/2 Usuage (thin deep fried tofu curd) – sliced into thin strips
5 bunches of Broccoli
400cc Soaking Liquid
2 Teaspoon of Dashi Powder
2 Teaspoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Mirin
2 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
1. Prep of Kiriboshi Daikon. Rinse Kiriboshi Daikon lightly to remove any dirt. Soak the Daikon in water for about 20-30 minutes. Do not soak it too long to avoid the taste of Daikon to run into the water. Save the soaking liquid. After that squeeze the Daikon lightly to excess.
2. In a small pot, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Add Daikon and fry it for a minute. Add Carrots and Usuage, and fry them for another minute.
3. Add the saves soaking liquid and bring it to boil. Once it is boiled, add Dashi Powder. Turn it down to low-medium heat.
4. Add Sugar and Mirin. Put a lid on and simmer it for about 20 minutes.
5. Add Soy Sauce and Broccoli, and simmer it for about 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off.
6. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. While the dish cools down, the ingredients absorb the flavour.