2 cups of Japanese Rice or Sushi Rice or Short Grain Rice (Please use rice cooker’s cup)
Topping 1 – Tri Soboro (Chicken Crumbles)
250g Chicken Mince
5 Spring Onions –chopped
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
2 Tablespoon of Mirin
3 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
Topping 2 – Scrambled Egg
1.5 Teaspoon of Sugar
1.5 Teaspoon of Soy Sauce
A pinch of Salt
Topping 3 – Kale no Oshitashi (Boiled and Seasoned Kale)
4-5 Branches of Kale – leaves to be chopped in a bite size and stalks to be cut into 4cm long
4 Teaspoon of Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Karashi (Japanese Mustard)
Topping 4 – Ninjin no Kinpira (Sautéed & Braised Carrots)
2 Carrots – cut into 4cm long and 2mm width
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Mirin
2 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoon of Sesame
A little bit of Sesame Oil
- Cook Rice as per instruction of your rice cooker.
- Topping 1 – Tori Soboro (Chicken Crumble). Put a small amount of oil in a frying pan and heat it with high heat. Once the pan becomes hot, put Chicken Mince in the pan and stir fry it on medium heat*. Add Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce. Stir fry until no liquid remains. Add Spring Onions and mix it. Place the Soboro in a plate and put aside.
- Topping 2 – Scrambled Egg. Crack Eggs in a small bowl. Add Sugar, Soy Sauce and a pinch of Salt n the Egg. Mix them lightly. Heat a frying pan with high heat. Once the pan becomes really hot,. Put the Egg mixture in the pan and make Scrambled Egg. Place the Egg in a plate and put aside.
- Topping 3 – Kale no Oshitashi. Boil water in a pot. Add stalks of Kales and cook them for 3 minutes. Add leaves of Kales and boil all together for 5 minutes or until the stalks become soft. Remove it from heat and drain water. Cool the Kales down with running water to sop cooking. Squeeze water out from Kale. Place the Kale in a bowl. Season the Kale with Soy Sauce and Karashi. Mix it well and put aside.
- Topping 4 – Ninjin no Kinpira. Put a small amount of oil in a frying pan and heat it with high heat. Once the pan becomes hot, put Carrot in the pan and stir fry it on medium heat. When the Carrot is just cooked, add Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce. Stir fry it until no liquid remains. Turn the heat off, add Sesame and Sesame Oil. Place the Carrot in a plate and put aside.
- Assemble Donburi. In a serving plate or bowl, place Rice in the bottom, and them place all toppings nice on top of the rice.
*Cook mince very well to remove unpleasant smell of chicken. When the mince starts browned, oil from the mince will come out. Even though it is already browned at the stage, keep cooking until the oil disappears. This helps to keep only lovely chicken flavor.