It is not so long ago that I started baking. I reckon it was 3 years ago. I made a New Year’s Resolution to be able to bake. I have been trying since then.
So, I was so excited when I found “Secret Cake Club Perth”. This club is all about food. People who love cooking, baking and eating bring their own dishes in line with the event theme. On the day of the event, all what we do is eat! And then if there are any left-overs, we can take them home. We can share recipes and ides too. To be honest, I still feel nervous to go to the event and show my baking to the members, however, I really enjoy working on new ideas and expanding my repertoire.
At the most recent event, the theme was “Quirky Christmas”. This was the 3rd event o attended to. I have not brought any cakes yet ( I does not need to be a cake, buy you know, the club’s name is…). This had to be something strange, unique and funny. I knew what to make straight away.
Sushi Christmas Cake – This is the first cake I brought to the Secret Cake Club. I know this is not baking involved, but, it is Quirky enough isn’t it? Sushi itself is the adaptation from my original Chirashi Sushi recipe so the taste is guaranteed. It looks gorgeous and original. It is also quiet easy to construct.
Here is the recipe.
Ingredients for 15 cm round cake tin
2 cups of Sushi Rice (see the Chirashi Sushi recipe)
4 slices of Smoked Salmon – roughly chopped
3 slices of Smokes Salmon – for decoration
½ Avocado – sliced, drizzle with lemon juice
Simmered Dried Shiitake Mushroom – roughly chopped
A handful of Rocket Leaves
Scrambled Egg (3 Eggs, 1.5 Teaspoon of Soy Sauce, 1.5 Teaspoon of Sugar, 3 Teaspoon of Milk, A pinch of Salt)
Once the Sushi Rice has cooled down and all of the other ingredients are ready, we can start contracting the cake.
- Place plastic wrap over the cake tin. Make sure the wrap is much bigger than the tin.
- 1st layer – Scrambled Egg. Place Scrambled Egg over the bottom of the tin.
- 2nd layer – Sushi Rice. Spread 1/3 of the Sushi Rice over the Egg. Put a little bit of water on your hands when you place he rice, so that the rice does not stick to your hands. Push the rice gently.
- 3rd layer – Shiitake Mushroom. Spread the chopped Shiitake over the rice.
- 4th layer – Sushi Rice. Spread 1/3 of the Sushi Rice over the Shiitake. Push the rice gently.
- 5th layer – Smokes Salmon and Avocado. Place them on the rice nicely.
- 6th layer – Sushi Rice. Spread the rest of the Sushi Rice over the Shiitake. Push the rice gently.
- Wrap over the surface with plastic wrap and rest it for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Take it out from the fringe. Remove the Sushi Cake from the tin by turning it upside down (just like a cake). Remove the wrap.
- Make a rose from Smoked Salmon. Cut a slice of Smoked Salmon lengthwise into 3. Roll the smallest slice and then loop others around. Make 3 roses.
- Place the roses on top of the Sushi Cake and sprinkle some Rocket Leaves round.