This is another very easy cake recipe. No technique is required. All you have to do is keep adding the ingredients in a bowl. Apple and almond meal give the cake moderate natural sweetness, and brown sugar contributes to its richness. The flavour of lemon syrup adds a little bit of sourness to the cake.
Ingredients for 15 cm round cake tin:
70g Dark Brown Sugar
40g Unsalted Butter – melted
20ml Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon powder
80g Almond Meal – shifted
80g Self-Rising Flour – shifted
1 Apple (any kind of apple you like) – peeled, core removed and sliced into thin wedges
2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons of Water
4 Tablespoons of icing Sugar (or White Sugar is also fine)
- Preheat oven to 180◦C. Line a cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and dark brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved completely. Add milk, melted butter, olive oil and cinnamon power to the bowl. Combine them well.
- Add almond meal and self-rising flour into the mixture. Combine them gently until they disappear. Do not mix as gluten will come out and the cake will be dense*.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top. Arrange the sliced apple on top of the batter, pressing them into the batter very gently. Bake it for about 40 minutes (depending on your oven) or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make lemon syrup. Put lemon juice, water and icing sugar in a small saucepan. Heat it gently until the sugar is completely dissolved. Put aside.
- Once the cake is cooked, take it out from the oven. Make small holes in the surface using a wooden skewer and pour the lemon syrup over the cake. Leave it to soak in the tin until it has cooled down. It can be eaten straight away, but it is nice next day as well when all of the flavour is settle and absorbed.
Note* How to combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients gently.
I use a wire whisk. Scrape and scoop the mixture of ingredients with the whisk, and lift up and drop it. Repeat this until the dry ingredients disappear into the mixture. It helps you to work quicker when you turn the mixing bowl in the opposite direction of the whisk scrapping the mixture.