We buy celery very often. It is reasonable and often on sale. It can be eaten raw and is good in any cooking. It is just, especially with 2 of us in the household, sometimes it is difficult to use up a big bunch of celery while it is still fresh.
The other day, I was looking in the fridge and thinking what I can do with this “better to eat now” celery. A new idea came to me when our manager took us for lunch. One entrée we were sharing was “chilli octopus with CELERY PUREE”. I thought this is it!
While the sauce features celery’s flavour, garlic + chilli + parmesan cheese bring richness and funkiness to the sauce. I add bacon because I think the smokiness makes a good contrast to the celery’s freshness, however if you are after vegetarian option, it can be removed.
Ingredients: Serving for 2-3 people
For Celery Sauce
3 Celery Stalks including leaves – roughly chopped
3 cloves of Garlic
A good pinch of Salt
A pinch of Black Pepper
50g Parmesan Cheese
3 slices of Bacon – roughly chopped
½ Onion – finely chopped
1 clove of Garlic – finely chopped
1 Red Chilli – finely chopped
- Firstly make celery sauce. Place celery stalks, garlic and water in a pan and cook them until the celery stalks become soft. This will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the celery stalks are soft, remove the pan from the heat. Blend and mash them with a hand blender or food processor until it becomes smooth. Once it becomes smooth, add parmesan cheese and combine with it. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Put aside.
- Start cooking pasta as per instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a frying pan over medium/high heat until it becomes crispy. Add onion, garlic and chilli. Cook them for 2-3 minutes. Add the celery sauce into the frying pan. Add a ladle of the pasta cooking liquid (from Method 3), if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and toss to combine. Serve hot.