This is my new “BIG” Salad Recipe.
I try to cook salad for dinner more often these days, since we are trying to eat less carbs than before. This is just simply due to our age. We just cannot eat the same amount of food as we did before. However I would still like to feel satisfied after each meal.
So I made this salad. It contains both meat and vegetables, therefore it is quite filling while being healthy.
This Teriyaki Chicken Salad technically has 2 dressings (1 sauce and 1 dressing if I wold like to be specific) – Teriyaki sauce and Dijon Vinaigrette. The sweetness of teriyaki sauce and the sourness of vinaigrette dressing totally balance each other. The roasted vegetables suck these 2 dressings in! The soft boiled egg topping (which is optional, but!) gives the salad richness. YUM YUM YUM.
BTW, please note that you do not need to buy “Teriyaki”sauce from the shop 🙂 Hope you like it.
Ingredients (serve for about 3)
300g Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless)
Salt and Black pepper for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of Plain Flour
6 big florets of Cauliflower
1 Red Capsicum
3/4 Butternut Pumpkin (or your favorite pumpkin)
1.5 tablespoons of Olive Oil for roasting
150g of Leafy Mix
1.5 tablespoons of Brown Sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Soy Sauce (Japanese one)
0.5 tablespoon of Cooking Sake
Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing
2 Limes – juiced (you can replace it with 3/4 lemon)
5 teaspoons of White Vinegar
2 teaspoons of Dijon Mustard
5 teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Soft boiled egg for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Cut chicken breast and all vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Place the chicken into a small bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Put it aside.
- Place the cauliflower and the pumpkin into a roasting tray, and the red capsicum into a different tray. Coat them with olive oil. Roast the cauliflower and the pumpkin for 30 minutes until they are cooked and caramelised. For capsicum, place the tray into the oven 10 minutes after the cauliflower/pumpkin tray. Roast it for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, make teriyaki sauce and Dijon Vinaigrette dressing by mixing all ingredients. Put them aside.
- Make soft boiled eggs for topping. Boil water in a small pot. Place eggs into the boiling water gently. Please use cold eggs from the fridge. Cook them for 6 minutes. Remove from the pot and cool them down in cold water. Put them aside.
- Now make teriyaki chicken. Heat a small amount of oil (which is not included in the ingredients’list above). Sprinkle plain flour over the chicken breast and mix them well. Place the chicken into the frying pan. Pan-fry both sides of the chicken until lightly browned. Turn up the heat to high. Add the teriyaki sauce into the pan. Keep cooking it for about 3-5 minutesor until the sauce becomes silky and shiny, while applying the sauce over the chicken with a spoon.
- Now assemble the salad. Place 1/3 leafy mix on each serving place. Arrange the roasted vegetables and the teriyaki chicken on the leafy mix nicely. Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce over the salad. Place the soft boiled egg on top. Serve it warm with the Dijon vinaigrette dressing.