My last hobby that I can still enjoy during this unusual time is cooking, that normally comes with enjoying the food with a glass of wine afterwards. Obviously, I have to be careful what I cook, otherwise my tummy will be massive by the time the pandemic ends…
I would like to introduce my new cupcake recipe – Gluten Free Honey Cupcakes with Cacao Yogurt Frosting! This gluten free cupcake recipe is a little bit healthier and much easier to make. It is just perfect for someone who would like to enjoy a small indulgence while still watching your weight, just like me.
In this recipe, I use almond meal instead of flour. For the frosting, I use Greek yogurt instead of butter and Cacao Powder instead of chocolate. Yes I still use some butter, pure honey and cream, but the amount of each ingredient is much less than the normal cupcakes. Well…, in my opinion, if you cannot eat these goodies, what is the point to eat cakes, hey?
There is no technique required to bake these honey cupcakes. Thanks to the almond meal, the cupcakes will not be dense at all, even if you mix too much. All you have to do is place a bowl on a scale and keep adding the ingredients. I guarantee that the cupcakes will come out really moist!
The trickiest part would be whipping cream for the frosting. The key is to stop whipping when you think the cream is still thin. After holding Greek yogurt and cacao powder, the thickness will be just right and you can achieve the nice soft peaked cream.
To stain Greek Yogurt, this will take minimum 1-2 hours in the fridge. You can prepare it first thing in the morning, so that the strained yogurt will be ready when your baking is done.
If you are looking for something to do, some healthier options to munch, or stress free baking with your kids, this cupcake recipe is for you. Especially if you are good at decorating the cupcakes (unlike me!), that would be a fun thing to do too!
Hope you enjoy 🙂
Ingredients: (7 cupcakes)
- 2 Eggs
- 60g Honey
- 40g Unsalted Butter – melted
- 20g Olive Oil
- 20g Milk
- 160g Almond Meal
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Bi-carb Soda
For Cacao Yogurt Frosting
- 100g Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Honey
- 100ml Pure Cream
- 1 Teaspoon of Pure Cacao Powder – shifted
- Firstly, make strained Greek Yogurt. Set a strainer over a matching sized bowl. Make sure the bottom of the strainer does not touch the bowl. Line paper towels over the strainer and place the Greek yogurt on the lined strainer. Place it into the fridge and allow the liquid to drain off from the yogurt for 1- 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (fan forced). Prepare muffin tins by either lining with baking paper or greasing with butter.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add honey, unsalted butter, olive oil and milk, and combine them well.
- Add almond meal and bi-carb soda into the mixture. Combine them well until they disappear into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture evenly into 7 muffin tins. Bake them for 15-18 minutes or until they are just cooked. To check, insert a wooden skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes our clean, the cake is cooked.
- Take them out of the oven. Remove from the tins and cool them down on a wire rack.
For Cacao Yogurt Frosting
- In a small bowl, place the strained Greek yogurt and honey and combine together.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to reach “Soft Peaks” form. This is like semi-melted ice cream.
- Add the honey yogurt into the whipped cream. Combine gently together.
- Add pure cacao powder into the yogurt cream mixture. Combine gently until the cacao powder disappears.
Once the honey cupcakes are completely cooled down, decorate them with the Cacao Yogurt Frosting to serve.