6 slice of Daikon (Chinese radish) – cut 3 cm thick rounds and the peel the skin deeply.
4 Boiled Egg
1 Konnyaku (Konjac)
Negi Kinchaku (Spring Onion Bag)
2 Abura age (Deep-fried bean curd)
6 Spring Onions – chopped
1 small amount of Ginger – minced
15cm x 7cm of Dried Kelp
10g Bonito Flakes – put the Bonito Flakes in empty tea bags.
A pinch of Sea Salt
2 Tablespoon of Cooking Sake
3 Tablespoon of Mirin
1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- Preparation of Daikon. Trim the cut edges (This helps to keep the nice shape of Daikon even after simmering.). On one side of the Daikon, cut a cross shape incision (This helps to penetrate seasoning and flavour into Daikon.). Put the Daikon in a pot and pour in just enough water to cover. Make it to boil. Once it is boiled, reduce the heat to low to medium and simmer for about 1- 1.5 hours or until the Daikon is cooked.
- Preparation of Konnyaku. Boil water in a small pot. On one side of Konnyaku, make a grid shape incision. To do so, make small lengthwise cuts (2-3mm between each cut) and then make cross cuts. Put the Konnyaku into the boiled water and cook it for about 30 seconds (This helps to remove the smell of Konnyaku.), and then remove. Cut Konnyaku into 6 of triangles. To do so, cut it into 3 of rectangle first, and then cut each rectangle on the cross.
- Preparation of Negi Kinchaku. Mix Spring Onions and minced Ginger. Halve the Abura age and open the middle like a pouch. Stuff the Spring Onion mixture into the pouch. Close the pouch with a toothpick. Make 4 of them.
- Preparation of Soup. Put 1000cc of Water and Dried Kelp in a big pot. Leave it for about 20 minutes. After that, bring it to boil. Once the water is boiled, remove the Dried Kelp and put nags of Bonito Flakes. Reduce the heat to low and cook it for 3 minutes. Remove the Bonito Flakes. Add a pinch (or two) of Sea Salt. Taste it here to see if you need more Salt. If so add a little bit more. Add Cooking Sake, Mirin and Soy Sauce.
- Place 1, 2, 3 and Eggs into the Soup. Simmered for 1.5 hours with low heat, and then turn the heat off. Leave it and cool it down with a lid on. Before serving, warm it up with medium heat to serve.