My memory of Japanese sweets is my mum’s homemade Anko (Japanese Sweet Red Bean Paste). Well…, it is not exactly the anko itself…. It is more like my mum and my sister.
They love anko. They sometimes had this sudden craving for anko (and I do not know why, but this happened always at night), and the next day, my mum would make it. When they ate it, they looked super happy… The homemade anko must have had some sort of magical power to make these 2 powerful Osaka ladies (especially if you know them…, you know what I mean) calm and speechless…
On the other hand, I have never been a big fan of Anko…. Somehow, I felt it was too sweet….That’s why I had never made it before. However, as I became older, I started missing the sweet anko – age does funny thing to humans!
So here it is! I recreated my mum’s happy Anko. As always, she gave me the instructions and tips (well, of course she does not know the measurement…). I think it is quite good.
I made Dorayaki (Red Bean Pancake) by using this anko this time. You can use if for anything else – such as Zensai (Sweet Red Bean Soup), Daifuku (mochi rice cake filled with anko), or even western style sweets (cupcakes and pound cakes will be good!).
It takes time to make, but it is easy. Try it when you have time!
220g Azuki Red Beans
1200ml of Water
140g of Caster Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- Soak Azuki red beans overnight (15 – 20 hours).
- Rinse the azuki red beans.
- Place the azuki red beans and 1200ml water into a big pot. Bring it to the boil. Once it is boiled, turn the heat to low. Skim the scum off the top. Keep cooking over low heat for about 1 hour or until the azuki red beans become soft and tender.
- Add caster sugar and sea salt into the pot. Keep simmering until the liquid is evaporated. This will take about 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Once the liquid is evaporated, mix and mash the azuki red beans to the consistency of your liking. Cool it down to use. You can wrap and freeze the anko if you are not planing to use it straight away.
This is Dorataki (Japanese Red Bean Pancake Sandwich). I used this recipe.