My version of Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. It might be an old remedy, but, I somehow believe in Ginger and Garlic to beat a cold. I like cooking this soup when my family is not feeling 100% in the cold winter.
While I use Salmon in this recipe, you can use a different protein instead (I reckon Chicken works very well). You can also use any vegetables in your fridge too.
One thing I recommend not to remove is Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, since Shiitake stock adds the rich flavour into the soup. Hope you enjoy the recipe.
Ingredients (Serve for 3-4 people)
500ml Chicken Stock
500ml Soaking Liquid of Dried Shiitake Mushrooms – see “For other ingredients” and Method 1 below
1.5 Tablespoons of Light Soy Sauce
A pinch of Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons of White Vinegar
3 Teaspoons of Corn Starch
½ Teaspoon of Sesame Oil
180 – 200g Salmon Fillet – skin removed, chopped into small bite size pieces
1 Teaspoon of Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Cooking Sake
For Other Ingredients
25g Dried Shiitake Mushrooms + 500ml of Water to reconstitute them – keep the soaking liquid
1 Onion –sliced
1 Carrot – cut into long sticks
1/6 Chinese cabbage – cut into small bite size pieces
1 Green Capsicum – sliced
1 or 2 bird eye red Chili (depends on your liking) – finely chopped
2 cloves of Garlic – finely chopped
10g Ginger – finely sliced
80g Dried Potato Noodles (“Malony” in Japanese, you can use Glass Noodles instead)
10 Green Beans – ends trimmed and cut to the same length as the sliced green capsicum
5 florets of Broccoli – separate into smaller florets
- Preparation of Dried Shiitake Mushrooms. Rinse the Shiitake. Soak them in 500ml of water to reconstitute. This will table about 10-15 minutes. If you are in a hurry, use warm water instead of cold water. Once they are reconstituted, slice them finely. Keep the soaking liquid.
- Preparation of Salmon. Cut and place the Salmon into a small bowl. Marinade the Salmon with Soy Sauce and Cooking Sake. Put it aside.
- In a large pot, put Shiitake, Onion, Carrot, Chinese cabbage, green Capsicum, Red Chili, Garlic and Ginger with Chicken Stock and the Shiitake Soaking Liquid. Bring it to a boil. Turn heat to low/medium and simmer it for 15 minutes with a lid on.
- Add Light Soy Sauce and a pinch of Salt. Simmer it for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add Dried Potato Noodles, Green Beans, Broccoli and the Salmon including the marinade to the pot. Put the lid back on and keep simmering for 10 minutes.
- Add White Vinegar and stir gently.
- Take 2 ladles of the broth out from the pot to a bowl. Add Corn starch to the bowl and whisk it until the Corn Starch is completely dissolved. Add the mixture to the pot and mix it into the soup gently. Add Sesame Oil.
- Beat an egg and pour it over the surface of the soup. Turn a heat off. Put the lid on and let it sit for 10 seconds. Serve while it is hot.