I occasionally crave gratin. I love the combination of bechamel sauce and cheese melting all together. I love the look in the oven – the bubbling sauce and golden surface…. Yum Yum Yum.
However…, gratin is not certainly suitable when you are on a diet…, I know…, but I still feel like it.
So! I made this recipe.
In this recipe, I made white sauce out of Silken Tofu. The key is to remove the tofu’s unique smell (see the method below) and mix the tofu until it becomes super smooth. I added Miso, which gives a richness and depth to the delicate tofu.
This was actually one of my experimental recipes, but it came out really good on the first trial. This is a keeper, definitely!
This Tofu Miso Creamy Sauce is suitable for a gluten free diet as well.
When you are on a diet and sick of salad and soup, try this low-carb cauliflower cheese!
Hope you like it.
Ingredients (Serving 3-4)
600g of Cauliflower - cut into medium-sized florets
1 Onion - sliced
3 teaspoons of Olive Oil
A pinch of Sea Salt
60g of Parmesan Cheese - shredded
For Tofu Miso Creamy Sauce
300g of Silken Tofu
2 tablespoons of Milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of Miso (I use Shinshu Miso)
1/2 teaspoon of Soy Sauce
A pinch of Sea Salt for seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 200 C.
2. Firstly we make Tofu Miso Cream. Wrap tofu with 2-3 layers of paper towels and microwave it for 2 minutes.
Remove it from the microwave and place a flat plate or a light chopping board on top of the tofu. Do not unwrap the paper towels.
Leave it for about 5 minutes. This is a good method to remove the excess water from tofu, which contains tofu's unique smell.
3. Place all the ingredients of Tofu Miso Cream (except sea salt), and combine well well until it becomes homogenised and smooth. You can use a electric mixer if you wish.
4. Taste the tofu miso creamy sauce and add a pinch of sea salt as necessary. Put it aside
5. Place cauliflower and onion in a baking tray. Coat them with olive oil and sea salt evenly.
6. Pour the Tofu Miso Cream over the cauliflower and put Parmesan cheese on top.
7. Bake it for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked and the cheese becomes golden. Serve while hot.