Today, I would like to introduce my second low carb recipe – a well-known Ottoman dish with my Japanese Twist – Miso Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini.
The rich miso stuffing definitely matches with fresh and light zucchini. I also like the crunchiness and juiciness of zucchini, which makes you satisfied without eating rice or bread.
Instead of flour, I use Lupin Flakes to prevent the stuffing from being runny (As you may have already known, Lupin is a low carb and gluten free legume full of protein and fibre).
I actually think that this is the first time for me to use Lupin as a supporting role…. It does not interrupt the main flavour, is super easy to use and works perfectly! Definitely it is still my favorite super food!
As with my other low carb recipe, this dish can accommodate most dietary requirements -Vegetarian, Vegan and can be Gluten Free as well.
Hope you enjoy my Japanese twist in this dish 🙂
Ingredients (serving 4):
2 Zucchini – large
4 pinches of Sea Salt
1 clove of Garlic – finely chopped
200g Mushrooms (about 4 large mushrooms) – roughly chopped
1/2 Onion – chopped
1/4 Red Capsicum – chopped
1/2 Tablespoon of Miso
1/2 Tablespoon of Cooking Sake (or white wine)
1/2 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
2.5 Tablespoon of Lupin Flakes
Sea Salt for seasoning
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and flesh with a spoon. Chop the seeds and flesh roughly and put them aside (we will use them later).
- Sprinkle 4 pinches of sea salt over the zucchini. Wrap the zucchini with some kitchen paper towels and leave it for about 15 minutes. This is to remove the excess water from the zucchini.
For Lupin Miso Mushroom Miso Stuffing
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil (not included in the ingredients list above) and garlic in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add mushrooms, onion, red capsicum and the chopped zucchini seeds and flesh. Stir them with a wooden spoon for a minute or until the vegetables are evenly coated with the oil. turn the heat to low-medium and put a lid on. Keep cooking it for about 3 minutes.
- Add miso, cooking sake and soy sauce. Turn the heat to medium and simmer for about 2 minutes. Add lupin flakes and stir all together. season with sea salt as necessary. Turn the heat off and cool it down.
Construction and Baking
- Preheat oven to 220° C.
- Wipe excess water from the zucchini. Stuff the zucchini with the Lupin Miso Mushroom stuffing and place them on a baking tray. Bake them for 20 – 25 minutes or until the zucchini is cooked. Serve while hot.