I like trying out my new ideas in the kitchen. My current mission is to expand my repertoire of low-carb recipes. This is just because of us trying to eat less, and sometimes without carbs, I feel that the dish does not give me the same level of satisfaction…. How can I fix this issue…?
And then, I had this idea! How about replacing bread with Tofu?!
Yes, tofu can be boring sometimes…, but it means it is versatile. Tofu is generally quite filling so that this “non-satisfaction” issue can be resolved.
My first recipe for this idea is everyone’s favourite breakfast – Mushrooms on Toast…, I mean…, on Tofu.
I made the mushroom saucier, so that you can eat light flavoured (sometime boring) tofu with sauce together. This dish is quite filling and satisfying, so we normally eat it as dinner.
This is a good dish which can accommodate most dietary requirements – Vegetarian and can be Gluten Free as well.
Hope you like it 🙂
Ingredients (serving for 3):
500g Classic Tofu
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
For Mushroom Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil
2 cloves of Garlic – finely chopped
400g Button Mushrooms – cut into chunks
1 Onion – thinly sliced
2 pinches of Sea Salt
¼ Teaspoon of Thyme
1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Japanese Soy Sauce (gluten free soy sauce as an option)
1 Teaspoon of Unsalted Butter
(Optional) Black Pepper for seasoning and any green garnish for presentation
- Cut tofu half to make it 1.5-2cm thick. Then cut each piece into 3 (total 6 pieces of tofu).
- On a flat plate or a chopping board, place 3-4 layers of paper towels and lay the tofu on it. Place another 3-4 layers of paper towels, and then place a flat plate or light chopping board on top of it. Leave it for 15-20 minutes. This is a process to remove excess water from the tofu.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on high heat. Once the frying pan gets really hot, reduce the heat to medium and pan-fry the tofu until the surface becomes lightly browned and crispy.
For Mushroom Sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and garlic in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add mushrooms, onion and sea salt into the pan. Stir them with a wood spoon for a minute or until the mushrooms are evenly coated with the oil.
- Add thyme into the pan. Turn the heat to low/medium and out a lid on. Keep cooking it for about 10 minutes or until juice from the mushrooms almost cover them.
- Add balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Simmer for about 2- 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and add unsalted butter. Let it melt.
Place 2 slices of the tofu on each plate and pour the mushroom sauce over the tofu. Serve while warm. Seasoning with black pepper and some green garnish on top are an option.